Monday, November 5, 2012

When Someone Else Sings...

When I was a little girl, I remember sitting in the backseat of the car... looking out the back window.  I know, I know... why didn't I have a seatbelt on?  Well, it was before we were required to wear them... which seems just silly.  Anyway... I was sitting there, looking out the back and I remember my mom turning up the radio (or was it an 8-track) and exclaimed... "It's my honey!!"

I remember either thinking or saying aloud... "If he's your honey, how come he never comes to visit me?"

I've never met my biological father, still, to this day.  But even as a 3 or 4 year old, I somehow equated "honey" with "someone you love" and equated that to "someone you have a child with."Smart girl I was.

Well, that man singing was Willie Nelson.  And for a brief moment in time I thought he was my father. Willie singing was part of the soundtrack of my childhood.  I'm grateful that I've heard him play live.

In other news... I've been on a bit of a random Pearl Jam kick since Philly.  A newfound appreciation since my high school and college days.  I heard this on the radio the other day and smiled.  I love when older artists do covers from rock bands, it makes me smile when music worlds collide.  I've posted this song before, but seeing Willie and his son Lukus sing it as a duet literally brought a whole new meaning to the words Eddie has sung and brought tears to my eyes.  Check it out - I promise it'll make you cry and immediately want to call your parents...   Good stuff right there.  This is what happens when you can appreciate the lyrics and the music.  <3 p="p">


Amanda and I at Willie Nelson this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment