Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Eye Patches and Cupcake Vodka


It was exactly this time last year that I found myself in a really strange place…or “headspace” as my dear friend, Canada, calls it.  The holidays were around the corner, and I was feeling sad that I wasn’t going to be going home.  Which is strange in and of itself, because I moved away from Michigan in 2002… and rarely go back for the holidays.  But…no matter where I was, California or Texas, there always seemed to be some excitement around the holidays – either I was going somewhere or someone was coming to see me.  The year prior I had my mom in town for 10 short days just before Christmas, quickly followed by Jen and Katie being here for New Years.  That was just enough to make me comfortable with actually being “alone” during the holidays.  And I’ve never, thankfully, actually been alone on any holiday – I’ve always been fortunate to have friends to be with.  So… why was I all emotional this particular year?


No one was coming out to visit.  I wasn’t going anywhere.  Nor did I have plans to go anywhere.  I was stressed with my job situation.  I was single.  It was the perfect pre-holiday season storm to send my emotions into over-drive.

The night before Thanksgiving I babysat and on my way home, I called Lindsay…who had been out for a better part of the night and insisted that I come out for a couple of drinks…even if I was planning on running the Turkey Trot the next day.  I did.  And am so thankful that I did. 

That night, I met who would soon become one of my best friends in this city and one of my favorite people on this planet. 

We bantered about Turkey Trot.  And IF he were to run who would win.  He insisted that I take a shot of some awful cupcake vodka.  Not cool.  We stayed up late taking shoots of water (after one late night shot of Crown).  We ran the turkey trot that morning.  He beat me…but not by much.  Thanksgiving day we drank champagne and made Thanksgiving grilled cheese sandwiches.  And damnit, if you can’t be thankful for a grilled cheese, you’re crazy! 

My sad, sad holiday weekend turned into one of the most memorable…  And I found myself a lifelong friend. 

So Antonio, thank you for grilled cheese sandwiches, gypsy holidays, the Jew Ball, Christmas morning cowboy/Viking style, a newfound love of Brussels Sprouts,  borrowed pajamas, Sunday fundays, the stares, bringing a whole new meaning to watching the Austin Marathon, skinned knees, head injuries, black eyes and concussions.  Thank you for all things SXSW, I’m not sure I would have made it out the other side without you there.  Thank you for your love affair with my cat.  For late night text assults when I decide to stay in.  Thank you for still calling me… and calling me at random times of the day…for no particular reason.  Thank you for our runs…and letting me beat you.  Thank you for eye-patches, both times.  I appreciate your ease in being you, so that I could always be me.  

There is no one else I’d rather drink with at 8am …lose my ID in Houston with…see in a Viking helmet…give my cat to when I die… sustain a head injury with… or ask, you know that moment when you stop remembering, are you there?  I love you like some kind of fierce and am so thankful for your friendship and all of the silly shenanigans and crazy tomfoolery we’ve partaken in over the course of the last 365 days!

Turkey Trotting 2011
Lesson learned… you are allowed to be sad… but you have the power to change your perception of the situation, and sometimes that perception change just takes a crazy kid from Missouri and a little cupcake vodka. 
ACL weekend - 2012
Friends Christmas - 2011


How I woke up Christmas morning - 2011



SXSW / St. Paddy's Day / The Day I turned a foam finger into a koozie


Dave Matthews - Woodlands 2012


Friends with who like M's

ACL 2012 - Thank you for also for Hallie.  And Jeff.  I likes them too!  :)
  
Happy friend-a-versary, Antonio! Forever A-Team, Alpha Alpha!  Cheers to new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment