Thursday, October 24, 2013

Refresher Course

Are you willing to give without being asked?  Are you willing to help without knowing your efforts would be acknowledged, much less appreciated?  Are you willing to go above the call of duty, without regard to what you may gain?  Are you willing to listen and not speak?  Are you willing to reach out, offer a hand, ear, shoulder or simply your time and friendship, if for nothing else because they’ve offered the same to you, and you took gladly took it when you needed it. 

Roles will always reverse.  If you’re the person who gives freely and happily, you’ll eventually find yourself in a space where you need to receive; receive the love, care and gifts of others.  Conversely, if you’re in the habit of taking or receiving the gifts of others, your character and friendship is defined when it’s your turn to give.  Are you as quick to give, as you are to receive?

Major life changes have a funny way of sifting the fluff, the unnecessary and unfulfilling out of your life.  You gain perspective – both on who you are in this world and whom those you’ve chosen to surround yourself with.  Everyone was placed in your world for a reason – it’s either you are teaching, or you are learning.  In a perfect friendship, you’re equal parts both teacher and student.  It’s those friendships that need to be celebrated.

I’ve been lucky enough to have a few of these major life changes – and I’m thankful I’ve taken what many would perceive as something negative, sad and scary and saw the good, the opportunity and the many silver linings.  I patiently waited for the lessons to come and relished in the opportunity to take my turn as the one who needed the hands, ears, shoulders, time and friendship of those who I’ve given to in the past. 

I drove through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California and back to realize what I’ve learned before – I am loved.  I have developed amazing friendships with some of the most incredible people.  I guess some lessons are worth a refresher course here and there. 

In the spirit of celebrating and honoring those friendships, the way they deserve -I decided earlier in the week to cancel my going away party.  In my remaining days as an Austin resident, I am choosing to spend my time with those who have freely given to me their time, love, support, encouragement and friendship - when I needed it most.   It is those types of friendships who inspire me most and give me comfort as I embark into the unknown.  Some have been there since I got to Austin, others have been there for a few months – time, like distance doesn’t matter with these types of friends.  It’s those friendships I’ll hold tightly as I head west on Interstate 10 – because they have my back, and I know without a shadow of a doubt, each of them knows I have theirs too – yesterday, today and tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment